Monday, April 11, 2011

Shuckstack Fire Tower

We hiked from Fontana Dam in North Carolina to Shuckstack Fire Tower a couple of weeks ago. It was very cool!


Shuckstack Tower between the trees in the clouds

At about 2 1/2 miles in to our hike you could see where we were going, look closely between the trees, at the top of the mountain peak, Can you see it? Shuckstack Fire Tower in the clouds.

Shuckstack Tower in the clouds

See It? It this point I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. But I could see it was going to level out for awhile, my legs were very happy about that.

Shuckstack Tower

We made it!
The fire tower was build in 1934 and is 60 foot high. It sits on top of Twentymile Ridge.

The view was breath taking!

On top of Shuckstack Tower NC

View from Shuckstack Fire Tower

I didn't go all the way to the top of the tower. It felt a little shaky, and it is in need of some repair. But, the views were amazing from where I was anyway.

We climbed a little more than 2100 feet. Total hike about 8 miles. And was sore for about three day. But loved every minute of it.

2 comments:

Dory said...

There is no way on God's green earth I would have climbed that thing. Even part of the way! Beautiful photos though!!

Lena said...

I was happy to climb down from the tower myself, It was shaky and had no hand rail in some places. Scary! I wish it had been a clearer day, we could have seen for miles.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails